Family Subsidy Specialist II
$40,428 annual salary
Benefits: Children's Council is a family-friendly workplace offering full-time eligible employees 22 days paid vacation, 13 paid holidays, 401k with employer match, and health/dental/vision benefits upon successful completion of 30-day introductory period.
About this Position
The Family Subsidy Specialist II (FSS II) supports low income families in San Francisco by evaluating and maintaining their eligibility to receive financial assistance to pay for child care. The FSS II is a trusted resource for families navigating intricate program requirements and seeking information or referrals to other supportive services and community resources. Our Subsidy Specialists are known for their strong case management skills including acute attention to detail and quality and a strong sense of accountability to the families we serve. The ideal candidate for this position is a natural helper, an amazing communicator, and a warm, empathetic spirit. You will need strong multitasking abilities and good judgment to assess and meet customer needs in a complex and changing regulatory environment.
• Maintain ongoing and accurate up-to-date client records for the caseload of families receiving subsidized child care services.
• Accommodate individual assignments of families who are new to the program, or regular batch assignments of existing families from other Family Subsidy Specialists.
• Conduct initial and ongoing in-person eligibility meetings with families in accordance with Department policies and procedures, Federal, State, and Local law and regulations, or other funder/auditor requirements.
• Provide timely, ongoing communication with parents and child care providers via telephone, mail, email or in-person meetings to assist them in understanding the Subsidy program or other family support needs.
• Counsel families around the importance and benefits of a quality child care and early education experience for their children. Provide tailored information around options for a quality early care experience depending on each family's unique circumstances.
• Provide customized information on, and referrals to, other community resources and support services as appropriate.
• Attend parent appeal hearings and support actions taken affecting families' service levels.
• As determined by Department Quality Assurance metrics, achieve and maintain a performance accuracy rate in accordance with current Department standards.
• Adapt to continually-evolving internal policies and best practices to ensure optimal service delivery and compliance.
• Regularly contribute to capacity building efforts within the Department by leading or participating in workgroups or presenting materials to other Department members in individual or group settings.
• Collaborate with other program staff at Children's Council by planning and participating in client services such as playgroups, workshops, or special projects and events.
• Attend and participate in all required meetings relating to service delivery and professional development.
• Provide occasional backup shifts at Children's Council's front desk.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• People describe you as an excellent communicator and listener- you build positive relationships by putting people at ease, really hearing their concerns, and meeting them where they are.
• You love a good challenge and are ready to learn; you are a problem-solver by nature and can anticipate or work through the unexpected changes that may affect your work.
• You can maintain your focus and attention to detail in a bustling and fun environment.
• Your coworkers are amazed by your time management, planning, and follow-through skills. You get the job done and are a joy to work with.
• You have experience with (and enjoy!) meeting and serving a diverse population of clients and coworkers.
• Learning new systems and administrative computer programs is a breeze for you.
Required Education & Qualifications
• AA in Human Services, Child Development, Psychology, Sociology and one years' experience in a non-profit organization, or High School Diploma and two years' experience in a non-profit organization.
• Preferred proficiency with current technology applications including dedicated program software and Microsoft Office applications such as Excel and PowerPoint.
• Mental acuity to perform the essential functions of this position in an accurate and timely fashion.
• Dexterity to use office equipment; the ability to sit and work at a desk for extended periods of time.
• Ability to speak, hear, and understand speech at normal room levels.
• Physical agility to bend, stoop, walk, climb four flights of stairs if required.
How to apply:
Please submit your cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format with the Email Subject line: Family Subsidy Specialist II to firstname.lastname@example.org
Children's Council is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity as central to our work serving the San Francisco community. We encourage candidates from a wide range of backgrounds to apply. Individuals seeking employment at Children's Council are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Category: Family Services
Location: San Francisco, CA
Salary: Competitive Salary
Posted On: July 5th, 2018
About Children's Council
For over 40 years, Children's Council has been the central hub for San Francisco's child care community. Our mission is to connect families to child care that meets their needs and to work with parents, providers and community partners to make quality child care and early education a reality for all children in our city. Our team is committed to empowering parents with the information they need to make good decisions regarding child care. We also train and equip early educators with the expert resources they need to be better at what they do and simultaneously improve the quality of child care available in our city. We believe all children must have high quality care and early education because their long-term success depends on it. If you want to be a child care champion in our community, we want you on our team.