Marin Head Start - San Rafael , CA
Directs the operation of the nutrition component to ensure compliance of Marin Head Start nutrition program with Head Start Performance Standards. Provides nutrition services that assist families to meet each child’s nutrition needs and to establish good eating habits that nurture healthy development and lifelong well-being.
Administration and Management
- Develop and update written policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable program performance standards and other Federal, State and local regulations for nutrition services.
- Holds a Deep understanding – and an ability to articulate – the role equity, inclusion, and diversity plays in our work.
Coordination of Services
- Completes overall nutrition assessments on each enrolled child including:
- gathering any relevant nutrition related assessment data (height, weight, hemoglobin/hemocrit)
- gathering and assessing information about family eating patterns, including cultural preferences.
- Serves as a resource to program staff regarding nutritional and feeding issues
- Ensures that parents and appropriate community agencies are involved in the planning, implementing and evaluation the agency’s nutritional services
- Plan/review food service menus to insure compliance with USDA and HS Nutrition guidelines
- Monitor CACFP documentation to ensure compliance with State Department of Education requirements.
- For infants and toddlers - ensure that nutrition related information on the Needs and Services Plan are regularly updated and shared with parents.
- Monitor food service in the following areas:
- adherence to menu plans
- quality and quantity of food
- serving practices
- food storage
- general health and sanitation practices.
- Consults with individual Head Start families as needed regarding nutritional needs of children, provides nutrition counseling to parents and matches families with available community resources.
- Consults with Head Start staff as required to meet the nutritional needs of HS children and families
- Provides staff and parent training presentations to appropriately implement the nutrition standards, as identified as part of the program in-service planning
- Assists with design, implementing and monitoring of nutrition curriculum in both classroom and home base components.
- Consultation with parents and staff for each child with nutrition-related health problems and special dietary requirements.
- Meets regularly with the Health Services Manager to plan and evaluate services to ensure that services are being delivered in an effective and efficient manner
- Participates in case management meetings when nutritional needs issues are involved.
- Acts as an advocate for child and family nutritional issues in the community on behalf of Head Start.
- Orients new staff to agency policies and procedures for nutrition services
- Appropriate training for staff, parents and volunteers in nutrition related activities
- Trains and monitors site assistants in implementation of the CACFP regulations and any other relevant sanitation and food handling standards.
- Models an attitude that values good health and nutrition
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Registered Dietitian, BS in Nutrition, Public Health Nutrition, Dietetics or related field
- At least two years’ experience working in a nutrition related position
- Ability to work well with parents
- Strong verbal/written communication and management skills
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish skills desirable
- Fingerprint clearance to work with young children.
- Successfully complete an employment physical and provide proof of the absence of TB within 7 days of hire.
- Physical agility to bend, stoop, walk, reach overhead, push, pull, squat, kneel, crawl, twist and turn. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
How to Apply
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelsey Lombardi, 415-526-7573