Teacher Assistant, Head Start/Earlt Head Start Program
Mexican American Oportunity Foundation (MAOF) - Los Angeles County , CA
POSITION TITLE: Teacher Assistant
DEPARTMENT: MAOF Head Start/Early Head Start, California Child Care and State Pre-School Programs, Early Head Start Partnerships
FLSA STATUS: Non-exempt, Full-Time
A STAFF PERSON WHO ASSISTS IN THE TEACHING OF A HEADSTARTCENTER. INSTRUCTS CHILDREN IN ACTIVITIES DESIGNED TO PROMOTE THEIR SOCIAL, PHYSICAL, AND INTELLECTUAL GROWTH. ASSISTS IN THE PLANNING OF INDIVIDUAL AND GROUP ACTIVITIES WHICH STIMULATES LEARNING, ACCORDING TO THE AGES OF THE CHILDREN. (THIS POSITION IS SITUATED IN THE EDUCATIONAL SERVICE COMPONENT OF HEAD START.
The objective of the Educational Services Component is to:
- Provide children with a learning environment and various experiences which will help them develop socially, intellectually, physically, and emotionally in a manner appropriate to their age and stage of development.
- Integrate the educational aspects of the various Head Start Service Areas in the daily schedule of activities.
- Encourage parents in the educational activities of the program and to enhance their role as the main influence of their child’s education and development.
- Assist parents in increasing their knowledge, understanding, skills and experience in child growth and development.
- Assists parents in identifying educational activities for their children in the home.
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND SPECIFIC DUTIES (but not limited to:)
- Assists teacher in the implementation of safety rules and supervises the children’s activities in order to insure 2their safety.
- Conducts daily inspection of indoor and outdoor facilities. Removes hazardous debris, unsafe equipment and materials.
- Daily health check of the children and reports results to the teacher.
- Assists children during snack and meal time. Demonstrates appropriate dental and personal hygiene.
- Assists teacher in straightening up and maintaining an orderly learning environment.
- Assists in the preparation of children’s meals.
- Assists in kitchen responsibilities
B. Developmental and Educational
- Discusses assigned teaching area with teacher to coordinate instructional efforts.
- Prepares and/or assists with preparation of weekly lesson plans.
- Plans, prepares, and develops various teaching aids.
- Helps develop the social learning and physical skills of the children.
- Demonstrates the proper use of educational materials and equipment.
- Teaches arts, crafts, songs and games to the children.
- Acts out stories with children.
- Helps plan and supervise field trips.
- Leads group activities that reinforce children’s concepts related to space, time, numbers, colors, etc.
- Assists in conducting individual and small and large group activities.
- Operates audio-visual equipment when needed.
- Works individually with children needing special attention.
- Supervises children during transition from one activity to another.
- Provides evaluative information to teacher on the progress and development status of each child.
- Assists in the implementation of the Individualized Educational Plan for each child.
- Explains to parents the goals and methods of the classroom program.
- Listens to parents and assists in helping parents solve issues
- Assists in conducting home visits/parent conferences..
- Attends Head Start Center committee meetings.
- Communicates verbally or in writing to parents in adults primary language.
- Supervises the classroom for brief periods when the teacher is on-site but away from the classroom.
- Assists in implementing the programs curriculum, philosophy, policies and regulations.
Assists teacher in designing and planning daily classroom program and schedule.
- D. Administrative
- Takes attendance and records absences.
- Participates in meetings of teaching team.
- Attends orientations, in-service training, educational programs, conferences and workshops, as required.
- A. Supervision
This position may receive indirect and/or intermittent direct supervision from the Child Development Supervisor. However, direct, daily, supervision is provided by the Teacher/Head Teacher in the Child Development Center. Close supervision is not required over this position because of the demonstrated skill level and experience. Employee should use appropriate judgement in the performance qualities. Moderate decision making is permitted in order to carry out duties and responsibilities. Performance education are conducted by the Head Teacher in conjunction with the Child Development Supervisor.
- Internal Relationships
- Child Development Supervisor
- Assistant Teacher
- Health, Nutrition, Social Services, Disabilities, Mental Health and Parent Involvement Components.
- Bus and Van Drivers
C. External Relationships
- HeadStartCenter Committee
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- High School Diploma or its equivalent.
- Twenty Four (24) Units in Early Childhood Development.
- Enrolled in a program leading to an AA or BA degree from an accredited college or university.
- A Child Development Associate permit.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in working with preschool children.
- Must be able to read, write and communicate.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required.
- Must pass fingerprint clearance
- If using vehicle must have valid CA Driver’s License and current car insurance.
Must have verification of T.B. clearance at the time of employment issued within six (6) months prior to employment, to be renewed every year.
Must pass pre-employment Health Screening.