Head Start/Early Head Start Substitute Associate Instructor, Part Time
City of Oakland Head Start - Oakland, CA
Examples of Duties
- Instruct children in basic infant/toddler/preschool education concepts.
- Assist in organizing and setting up developmentally appropriate education and play materials for the classroom and/or the home.
- Assist in conducting fire, disaster and safety drills in the classroom; inspect facility for safety standards and maintenance needs.
- Assist in planning, organizing and scheduling daily activities at the center classroom or in the home.
- Assist in conducting developmental screenings, on-going child observations, developmental assessments and devise Individual Development Plans (IDP) on all children enrolled in program; assist in developing Individual Education Plans (IEP) for special needs children.
- Maintain a clean and organized indoor and outdoor environment, including the food service area.
- Support the initial and final home visits; make additional/on-going home visits as needed.
- Prepare snacks and serve meals.
- Assist with conducting outreach and recruiting children and families for enrollment in the Head Start/State Preschool/Early Head Start Program.
- Observe and supervise children in activities and ensure their health and safety at all times.
- Observe children for unusual behavior or illness and notify parents.
- Support parent conferences.
- Keep routine records for daily attendance and progress of children in the classroom and/or the home.
- Collaborate with parents in providing an individualized educational program for their children.
- Support the parent education, planning, and goal setting for parents.
- Promote parent/child bonding and nurturing parent/child relationships through modeling developmentally and culturally appropriate interactions and communications.
- Administer Pediatric First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR), as needed.
Minimum Requirements for Application
Any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to the following minimum qualifications is acceptable.
Twelve (12) post-secondary semester units or equivalent quarter units in early childhood education or child development completed at an accredited or approved college or university. Candidates must have units that cover the general areas of child growth and development, child family and community, child and family, or program/curriculum;
hold, or qualify for, an Associate Teacher Child Development Permit (or higher level permit) issued by the State of California.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT FOR EARLY HEAD START PROGRAM SUBSTITUTES: Education must include six (6) units of Infant/Toddler coursework.
Four months of full-time work experience or equivalent part-time experience in a licensed child care center or comparable group child care program.
Copy of college transcript(s) is required and must be attached. Applications submitted without the required documents will be considered incomplete. Please be sure to scan and attach the required documents to your on-line application.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE
Individuals who are appointed to this position will be required to maintain a valid California Driver's License throughout the tenure of employment OR demonstrate the ability to travel to various locations in a timely manner as required in the performance of duties.
Must obtain a State of California Child Development Associate Teacher Permit within 6 months of employment. Must demonstrate proof of application for Associate Teacher (or higher level) permit from the State of California upon hire. Failure to obtain relevant teaching permit within six months will be grounds for removal.
Must obtain Pediatric First Aid and CPR certifications within one year of employment and maintain throughout
tenure of employment.
Depending on nature of assignment, candidates who receive offers of employment will be required to submit fingerprints, undergo a criminal record clearance, and have a physical examination including a TB screening.
Proficiency in a foreign language may be required.