The Director of Accounting is a full-time exempt position reporting to the Chief Financial Officer responsible for the leading the Accounting Team, control of the organization’s financial resources, and the reporting of its’ financial information. Specific responsibilities include: cash management and forecasting, accurate and timely preparation of month-end close and monthly GAAP-compliant financial statements with variance explanations; management of the annual independent financial statement audit, Single audit, 990 report, and audits by Grantors and other funding sources; management of the Accounting Department staff; managing asset reporting and tax related filings; development, implementation, and management of internal controls; primary liaison for banking and audit relationships; oversight of grant accounting and filing monthly claims and annual filings with the Secretary of State and County of San Diego.
• Establish and implement a timely and stringent monthly close process to include review of entries/reports and approved schedule of monthly/ quarterly/ annual account reconciliations.
• Manage daily cash, weekly receipts and disbursements and maintain a rolling 12-month cash projection.
• Develop, document, incorporate, and maintain internal controls, and accounting and financial policies and procedures in compliance with grant requirements and best practices.
• Establish and maintain adherence to timely procedures to ensure proper review, approval, documentation, and account coding of all cash receipts and cash disbursements.
• Produce accurate monthly financial statements in formats and timeframe approved by the Chief Financial Officer.
• Provide proactive analysis and explanations of budget to actual variances in comparative financial statements.
• Provide the Finance Committee with all necessary documentation and reports, create draft agendas and meeting minutes, and be the primary liaison for the Accounting Department.
• Attend other Committee meetings as requested by the Chief Financial Officer or CEO.
• Establish and manage a monthly protocol with Department and Program Managers to review financial statements and review significant variances and projections.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting required.
• A minimum of three years’ experience as a Director of Accounting or similar role in a nonprofit organization with grants experience preferred. • A minimum of three years' managing employees preferred.
• California CPA Certification preferred.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills and experience in creating and delivering successful and compelling cases to donors.
• Experience with MIP Accounting software, Enterprise resource planning ERP software, ADP, Microsoft Excel and Office 365 preferred.
• Medi-Cal billing experience preferred.
For complete job description, please visit: https://www.ecscalifornia.org/careers
Location: National City, CA
Salary: Competitive Salary
Posted On: February 11th, 2021
Operating under the mission of serving God by serving those in need through programs that foster hope and dignity, ECS inspires children, empowers adults and transforms communities by providing vital, high-quality social services. ECS provides more than $29 million in health and human services in the areas of homelessness, mental health, poverty, addiction and early childhood education. ECS is searching for a Director of Accounting who will embrace our core values of excellence, compassion and service and exhibit a strong commitment to supporting the life-changing services offered.